- Application due: June 1, 2022
- Send to: Daniel P. Richards, SIGDOC Chair, at email@example.com
- Download the PDF version of the Call for Applicants
SIGDOC invites applications for a three-year appointment as Editor in Chief of Communication Design Quarterly (CDQ). SIGDOC also invites applications for a three-year appointment as Associate Editor of CDQ. Both positions are eligible for a second three-year term.
CDQ supports the mission of SIGDOC, an organization within the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), in its publication of a quarterly, peer-reviewed journal that brings in works from a variety of theoretical and research perspectives on current topics or concerns within technical communication, communication design, user experience, and other related fields.
The SIGDOC Executive Committee request that a detailed application dossier be submitted as a PDF by June 1, 2022, to Daniel P. Richards, SIGDOC Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The dossier should include:
- a letter articulating the applicant’s vision for CDQ,
- a CV,
- a statement of possible institutional support (including financial support and course releases), and
- a sample of the applicant’s writing (article or chapter).
Applicants must be active SIGDOC members. Based on those materials, the officers will interview a group of finalists via teleconference in June 2022.
The incoming Editor in Chief and Associate Editor will be financially supported by SIGDOC by way of new computer technology and the industry standard/software suite. Both editors will also have their full travel and registration costs covered for each SIGDOC conference during their tenure.
Editor in Chief: General Description of Duties
CDQ’s Editor in Chief is responsible for producing four complete issues each year. This includes ensuring that articles are published in CDQ’s Online First model in a timely fashion, then incorporating those articles into each full issue published in ACM’s Digital Library. When working with Special Issue Editors, the Editor in Chief ensures that all standard practices (intake, finding peer reviewers, etc.) are completed effectively, then takes over at the editing and layout stage of production with the assistance of the Associate Editor. On top of managing all aspects of publication, CDQ’s Editor in Chief maintains the manuscript database, generates teaching content, and markets the publication.
CDQ’s Editor in Chief is responsible for overseeing all major elements of the publication. These include:
- Manuscript intake
- Identifying peer reviewers
- Sending manuscripts out for double blind peer review
- Managing all correspondence
- Maintaining CDQ’s Editorial Board Managing manuscript status (in review, out for review, etc.)
- Making all decisions on manuscript acceptance status based on peer-review feedback
- Providing feedback on all manuscripts
- Coordinating with Book Review Editor
- Coordinating with ACM’s Digital Library personnel (managing DOI’s, submitting issues, etc.)
- Coordinating review of Special Issue proposals and providing feedback from the Editorial Board
Associate Editor: General Description of Duties
CDQ’s Associate Editor is responsible for supporting the Editor in Chief in their work. These tasks include:
Online First publishing, which includes:
- Converting manuscripts to HTML format and publish using the WordPress CMS
- Maintaining manuscript organization, tagging, etc. through WordPress
- Implementing social media and Search Engine Optimization (SEO) descriptions
- Maintaining CDQ pages on sigdoc.acm.org, including current CFPs, articles,
- Coordinating with SIGDOC Website Manager
- Coordinating with Advertising Team
- Managing the publication of manuscripts (including book reviews), which includes:
- Full editing of each manuscript
- Layout using InDesign
- Production to PDF for both Online First and ACM standards