Why Join SIGDOC?
The Association of Computing Machinery’s (ACM) Special Interest Group (SIG) on the Design of Communication (DOC) provides a forum for the effective interchange of information on technical documentation, software development, and user support for computer products and systems. The SIG studies processes, methods, and technologies for communicating information online, with hypermedia, multimedia, and in print. Members include technical communication professionals, computer scientists, educators, and researchers, as well as system and web application designers and developers, usability specialists, and managers responsible for producing or supervising the creation of documentation, online help systems, and user interfaces. SIGDOC offers conferences, a high-quality Web site, and an online Publication.
SIGDOC bridges the historical gap between research and practice, between academia and industry, and between technical communicators and software engineers. By joining SIGDOC, you become a member of a closely-knit community of professionals interested in the design of all forms of communication. The complementary backgrounds of SIGDOC members foster interesting dialog between traditionally disparate communities (e.g., technical communicators and program developers).
Joining SIGDOC costs only $35 USD ($25 for students), and you don’t need to join ACM in order to become a SIGDOC member.
To join quickly online, as either a student or professional member, use the online SIGDOC membership application.
Additional benefits of SIGDOC membership include:
- Discounted participation rates at all SIGDOC events, including a reduced registration fee for the annual conference
- Free access to SIGDOC conference proceedings via the ACM Portal
- Complimentary materials available online at the SIGDOC Web site, including the publication Communication Design Quarterly
- Broad professional contacts and valuable networking opportunities
- For undergraduate students, the opportunity to apply for a SIGDOC Undergraduate Scholarship
- For graduate students, the chance to compete in the SIGDOC Graduate Research Competition
- Special discounts and offers on various relevant goods and services.
How to Join SIGDOC
You have multiple options for joining:
- To join quickly online, as either a student or professional member, use the online SIGDOC membership application.
- Professional members can alternatively complete the professional application form (PDF).
- Students seeking to become new members can complete the student application form (PDF).
- Lapsed memberships (student and professional) can also be renewed online.
- ACM also offers special rates for individuals residing in economically developing countries. Simply select a membership type (professional or student) and identify your country of residence.