Global Innovation & Design Lab at University of Washington Tacoma
Hub Co-Chairs & Organizers
Enrique Reynoso, Jr. is an Assistant Teaching Professor in the School of Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences at the University of Washington-Bothell. His research is primarily situated at the intersection of globalization and marginalized populations, including migrant workers and the undocumented. In drawing together traditionally excluded users of technologies with questions about access and mobility, his research weaves together both culturally transformative technical communication and the challenges of digital spaces.
Emma J. Rose is an Associate Professor in the School of Interdisciplinary Arts & Sciences at the University of Washington Tacoma with an adjunct appointment in Human Centered Design & Engineering at University of Washington Seattle. Her research focuses on participatory and human-centered design approaches to engage communities in the design process. She teaches courses on user experience, innovation and design, and technical communication. She is Past Chair of SIGDOC.
Rebecca Schallon is a PhD Student at the University of Memphis. She is supporting the Tacoma Hub event with registration and discussion facilitation.
Tacoma Hub Schedule
This agenda is tentative and subject to change. If you have any questions, please reach out to Enrique Reynoso (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Emma Rose (email@example.com). All times are listed in Pacific Time.
- Check-in and conversation – GID Lab, Tacoma Paper & Stationery GID Lab TPS 016
- Watch broadcast of Student Research Competition Finals
10-11:00 am – Building Coalitions for Design: Globally and Locally -JOY 105
- Welcome from Dr. Divya McMillin, Dr. Enrique Reynoso & Dr. Emma Rose
- Huatong Sun “Empowering from Within: Planting Seeds Mutually for Inclusive Design with a Rural Coalition.”
- Sarah Read, “Busting the Myth of the Communication Metaphor: How Conventional Practices of Writing in Technical Contexts Perpetuate Systemic Injustices”
- Josie Walwema, “Inclusion Rhetorics and the ‘neoliberal epideictic'”
- Henry Covey, “Disaster Documentation Revisited: The Evolving Damage Assessments of Emergency Management in Oregon”
- Enrique Reynoso, “Mobile Bootstraps: Technological Infrastructures and Access”
11:00am – 12pm – Diana Award Keynote – GID Lab, Tacoma Paper & Stationery GID Lab TPS 016
12-2 – Lunch on your own and/or watch the Tempe, Arizona Hub Hour, GID Lab, Tacoma Paper & Stationery GID Lab TPS 016
2-3 pm – Networking and discussion, GID Lab, TPS 016
3:30 – 5:30 – Why Design? Industry talks and networking – UWY 304 (Please RSVP via eventbrite)
- Jonathan Bergeron, Wildlife Studios
- Britny Goodsell, Washington State Office of Financial Management
- Joe Welinske, Blink UX
- Emma Rose, UW Tacoma
5:30 – 7:00 – Socializing and networking – Zeke’s Pizza 1702 Pacific Ave, Tacoma, WA 98402 (outdoor patio, weather permitting).
Proof of vaccination required
The University of Washington requires proof of vaccination to attend events on campus. If you are affiliated with the UW, you just need to show up. If you are not affiliated with UW, you need to bring and show acceptable proof of vaccination. See here for what forms of proof are accepted.
Masks must be worn at all times while indoors on the UW Tacoma campus. Please make sure you bring a mask and wear it over your nose and mouth at all times while indoors.
Transportation and parking
If you are coming to campus, there are various places to park or our campus is well served by public transportation. Information can be found on our website under Transportation and Parking.
Our beautiful urban campus is located downtown Tacoma and takes up several city blocks, view campus map. If you need help navigating spaces, reach out to one of the co-chairs.