The SIGDOC conference will be held at:
503 West Garden of the Gods Road
Colorado Springs, CO 80907.
Room rates: $99 Single/$99 Double (Available until 9/12)
Reservations can be made by calling the hotel directly (719-265-9385) and asking for the ACM SIGDOC room rate.
Traveling to Colorado Springs, CO
Located just minutes from downtown, the Colorado Springs Airport offers unique perks for travelers, including valet parking service, free wireless Internet access, shops and restaurants. The Colorado Springs Airport offers flights from a variety of Airlines. See a Complete list of carriers or view the interactive map of non-stop and direct/one-stop destinations.1
High Altitude Effects & Tips
High altitude has its benefits. Our bodies use more calories and burn more fat. But, for lowland travelers who are new to our area, altitude can produce some unusual high altitude effects such as dizziness, nausea and headaches. Below you will find some helpful high altitude tips to help you acclimate to our elevation.1
To enjoy your visit here in Colorado Springs, here are high altitude tips to keep in mind to give your body time to adjust to the altitude and prevent altitude sickness:
- Stay below 7,000 feet the first day (the city of Colorado Springs is 6,035 feet above sea level.)
- Give your body time to adjust (there’s lots to see and do at lower altitudes.)
- Avoid strenuous exercise the first day.
- Limit alcohol intake. Alcohol binds oxygen and water and robs your body of these two important nutrients.
- Drink more water. The air is drier and your body will dehydrate much more quickly. The higher up you go, the more water you should drink.
- Always travel with a companion. If someone begins to experience severe coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath or chest pain, get him or her to a lower altitude as quickly as possible.
- The effects of some drugs such as tranquilizers can be greatly increased at higher altitudes. Be sure to check with your doctor first before exerting yourself at higher altitudes.
1Colorado Springs Convention & Visitor’s Bureau. (2014). Visit Colorado Springs Website. Retrieved 16 May 2014 from http://www.visitcos.com/.